The Virginia College Advising Corps seeks service-minded, motivated undergraduates in their last semesters to serve as College Advisers in our partner high schools. To get started, or if you still have questions after reading the information below, contact Program Coordinator Osman Ali at email@example.com. If you want perspective on the position from a current adviser or have questions about a specific placement, please contact the current Adviser at that school.
- A Bachelor’s Degree obtained in 2017, 2018 or 2019 with preference given to graduates from the University of Virginia or the University of Virginia’s College at Wise
- Ability and willingness to relocate to various locations across the Commonwealth.
- Ability and willingness to work hours that coincide with a typical school day, including some night and weekend hours.
Term of service:
- Two years; this includes a 4-week training program the summer before service begins.
$26,000 Annual Living Allowance
$5,920 Segal Education Award (AmeriCorps)
$3,600 Health Insurance included (approximate)
$35,520 Total compensation package
College Advisers also benefit from professional development opportunities including:
- Fully funded state and national conferences
- Ongoing Professionl Developmen/Training sessions at U.Va.
- A large network of College Advising Corps and AmeriCorps alumni and partner institutions
Information on AmeriCorps Partner institutions can be found on the AmeriCorps website.
Selection Process Timeline
- October 16 - Application Available - Includes application, resume, cover letter
- October 24 – 25, Fall Job and Internship Fair (Newcomb Hall)
- October 29 - Informational Meeting
- January 15 - Information Session - Clark Hall - 6:30pm - 7:30pm
- January 23-24, Spring Job and Internship Fair (Newcomb Ballroom) 10am - 3:00pm
- January 23 - Information Session - Newcomb Hall Theatre 5:30pm to 6:30pm
- February 4 - Application Deadline
- February 11-22 - First Round Interviews
- February 25 - Notify Candidates if Proceeding
- March 1 - Site Supervisor Interview Day