The Virginia College Advising Corps seeks service-minded, motivated undergraduates in their last semesters to serve as College Advisers in our partner high schools. To get started, or if you still have questions after reading the information below, contact Assistant Program Director Danny Eckstein. If you want perspective on the position from a current adviser or have questions about a specific placement, please contact the current Adviser at that school.
- A Bachelor’s Degree obtained from the University of Virginia or the University of Virginia’s College at Wise in 2016 or 2017
- Ability and willingness to relocate to various locations across the Commonwealth.
- Ability and willingness to work hours that coincide with a typical school day, including some night and weekend hours.
Term of service:
- Two years; this includes a 4-week training program the summer before service begins.
- Advisers receive a stipend of $25,000 per school year plus health insurance. College Advisers are eligible to receive an $11,630 education award ($5,815 per year, adjusted whenever the Pell grant amount changes) to use toward the repayment of undergraduate loans or toward future education once the two-year term of service is completed. As AmeriCorps members, Advisers have the ability to defer the repayment of any undergraduate loans while participating in the Virginia College Advising Corps. Additionally, as AmeriCorps members, participants are also eligible to have the future education award matched by one of the specified AmeriCorps partner institutions.
Information on AmeriCorps Partner institutions can be found on the AmeriCorps website.
Selection Process Timeline
- October 26 – 27, Fall Job and Internship Fair (Newcomb Hall)
- Application available here. Application requires a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three references.
- November 3, Recruitment Information Session and Panel (Peabody Hall Auditorium, 7:00 PM)
- November 5, Priority Application Deadline (submit complete application by 11:59 PM)
- November 7-11, Priority First Round Phone Interviews
- November 14-18, Priority Second Round Interviews with Search Committee
- TBD, Spring Job and Internship Fair (Newcomb Hall)
- February 2, Recruitment Information Session and Panel (Peabody Hall Auditorium, 7:00 PM)
- February 4, Regular Application Deadline
- February 6-10, Regular First Round Phone Interviews
- February 13-17, Regular Second Round Interviews with Search Committee (on-Grounds)
- February 24, Final Round Interviews with High School Colleagues (on-Grounds)
- March 1, Finalist Offers
- March 6-17, Finalist Shadowing Days (High School Sites)